Today BlackMagic Design announced a new Micro Four Thirds model (MFT) to their Cinema camera line up. This new passive MFT model will not only allow you to connect any MFT mount lens to the camera but give the user a much wider range of choices of lens options. The MFT style is adaptable to many other lens mount choices via third party adapters, including PL mount. This adaptability is due to the fact that the MFT mount sits closer to the sensor thus allowing third party adapters to be connected. However, this is a passive mount so manual iris lenses can only be used with this model.
Other than losing the ability to communicate data from the lenses, the MFT model is completely identical to the EF model. The new release also means BMC will rename the original camera model the BlackMagic Cinema Camera EF to differentiate between the two models.
Key features of the BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera models:
- Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT is identical to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF model.
- High resolution 2.5K sensor allows improved anti aliasing and reframing shots.
- Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Built in SSD allows high bandwidth recording of RAW video and long duration compressed video.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW, Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD. No custom file formats.
- Includes no custom connections. Standard jack mic/line audio in, BNC 3 Gb/s SDI out, headphone, high speed Thunderbolt I/O technology, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Capacitive touch screen LCD for camera settings and “slate” metadata entry.
- Compatible with extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses and other mounts via adapters.
- Supports 2.5K and 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Thunderbolt connection allows direct camera capture via included Media Express software and supports live waveform monitoring via the included Blackmagic UltraScope software.
- Includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve 9.0 color grading software.
Availability and Price
According the BMC the MFT will be available December 2012 for $2,995 from resellers worldwide. Price for both models is the same, and customers can order each model depending on the lens mount they prefer.
You can view the entire press release here.